Subject: Re: New User: How do I Quit NetBSD?
To: Olivier Boudry <oboudry@isrec-sun1.unil.ch>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1997 17:03:01
> There are probably several way to shut down your computer. The one I use is:
> shutdown -h now
> You have to be logged as root to do this.
>
> I read this in the faqs and don't know what the -h stands for.
> Bye!

You can always read the manual pages for shutdown (i.e. man 8 shutdown ;-)

However, here's a quick summary:

shutdown now	-- bring the system back down to single-user mode (now)
shutdown -h now	-- halt the machine now (i.e. turn it off like Shutdown in
		   the Finder)
shutdown -r now	-- reboot the machine now (like the MacOS Finder Restart)

I hope this helps some.

Later.