Subject: Re: Qudra 610 again
To: Adrian Fowler <adrian@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1997 16:38:07
> I notice from the supported machines list that the Quadra should support 1
> bit graphics, however after getting X11 to recognise the libraries it still
> has problems booting, specifically the screen not found problem.  The
> devices exist, but shecking the boot messages they arn't being initialised.

The video entry in the machine-status page is apparently a little
misleading.  Basically, what 1-bit means is that you have B&W video
somewhere.  Under GENERIC kernels on the Q610, this somewhere happens to
only be the console, not the grf devices.  I'm going to change that
particular entry Real Soon Now to more accurately reflect whether console
or grf devices are supported.

> I'm currently using the GENERIC22 kernel from Allen's (sorry about spelling,
> I can't exactly remember the name right now) web page.  I have downloaded
> the 21 and 16 kernels from the same place, and a GENERIC9 kernel from
> another place (all accessd from the meta faq site lists)

This kernel is known to not support grf devices on most Quadras (I
think).  I believe that someone has posted a kernel (named MADHATTER if I
remember correctly) which _does_ support a fixed resolution grf device on
the Quadras, however.  Check the mailing list archives for its location
unless someone else posts it.

> I use te other kernels because the distributed netbsd12 kernel dies early on
> in the boot process.

The 1.2 release kernel does _not_ support '040-based Macs except from a
serial console.

> So, _does_ the Quadra 610 (1MB VRAM 20MB RAM) support B/W XWindows as the
> machine list suggests?  If so, any clues as to why mine does not (if, like I
> suspect the kernel I am using doesn't support the grf0/1 devices then which
> one will?)

As I said above, it doesn't really suggest that it does.  (If it said
that 8-bit video was supported, that might be a different story ;-)
Sorry for the confusion, though.

> Oh.. and another point, since changing kernels the ps command no longer
> works, wrong amount of information returned from kernel or something to that
> effect, any clues out there on how to fix it (I don't have enough disk space
> currently allocated for the entire source tree)

I don't think that you need to update all of the source.  Actually,
getting a copy of Steve Allen's November tarballs might fix the problem
(assuming that you are not currently running them anyway).  The location
can be found in the Meta-FAQ.

I hope this clears a few things up.

Later.