Subject: Re: Daystar accalerator on macII?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Robinson <miker@mind.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1997 13:31:19
Alex writes:
>I've heared that the daystar accelerator will work with NetBSD, but has it
>been known to work with the MacII? Arrgh, i've been trying for months to
>get this to work on my computer with no sucsess!

I don't know about the MacII, but I have a Mac IIsi with a Daystar
Universal '030 30 mhz accelerator with FPU. I am brand new to UNIX and to
MacBSD. I have been posting to the list recently about my attempts at,
first, installing then booting MacBSD68k. I suffered a freeze up just after
booting and have since discovered it was probably due to the
_configuration_ I had in the Power Central control panel that is required
to use my Daystar accelerator.

I had Power Math and Power Cache set _on_. After trying various methods to
get MacBSD68k to boot (it worked when I boot the macOS with extensions off)
I tried (with extensions on) merely turning Power Math and Power Cache off
in the Power Central control panel. Eureka! NetBSD booted and there I was
in the UNIX operating system! Hot damn! Then I had the problem of how to
quit (reboot) the system and that was answered by Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
(give the command: shutdown -r now or the command: reboot, thanks Dave:)

So this might be something to mention in a FAQ, if in faqt it is true for
all instances of the Daystar accelerator in a mac or it is just me and my
IIsi.
Turn off Power Math and Power Cache in the Power Central control panel.
BTW, version 2.2 is the latest (and probably the last) version of Power
Central. It can be downloaded from www.daystar.com.

Thanks to everyone on this list. Great support!

Michael Robinson
Medford, Oregon USA
miker@mind.net