Subject: Re: New User: How do I Quit NetBSD?
To: Olivier Boudry <oboudry@isrec-sun1.unil.ch>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1997 10:35:49
On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Olivier Boudry wrote:

> There are probably several way to shut down your computer. The one I use is:
> shutdown -h now
> You have to be logged as root to do this.
>
> I read this in the faqs and don't know what the -h stands for.

halt.  Likewise, 'shutdown -r now' reboots.  shutdown now drops you to
single-user mode (at least it used to, I assumt that hasn't changed :-).
You can also specify a time (type man shutdown for the exact syntax)
instead of 'now' to send other users an alert every so many minutes until
shutdown time (If I remember right, the interval drops to being every one
minute when shutdown is coming up in less than 10 minutes, or something
like that...).

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |