Subject: Re: db
To: None <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/1997 12:49:21
On Wed, 29 Jan 1997 21:31:23 -0600 (CST),
Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu> wrote:
> > OK, then here's a question.  Let's say you have some process (like a
> > screwed up xdm) that prevents you from logging in and killing it.  Your
> > modem is hung up, you forgot to run a getty off the serial port, so
> > there's no way back into your computer.  Is there any way to kill a
> > particular process (you can certainly list them!) from the db> ?
>
> I don't think so.  I believe that once you have hit the programmer switch
> and dropped into the debugger, it pretty much kill the kernel, so all
> processes have pretty much stopped by then (even tho it still shows them).

No, if you hit the programmer switch to drop off the debugger, you can
restore the execution by the continue command, or at least so I
thought.

I'm beginning to suspect that, if you know the kernel internals and
the kernel debugger well enough, you might be able to tweak the
process' user structure to make PC really absurd (like 0xffffffff).
You can then hit the "c" command (continue) and *bang!* you have a
dead process.

Am I terribly off base?  I wouldn't be surprised if there were easier
solutions, though.

Ken