Subject: Re: My undertaking
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Tarka x3212 <tommy@boulder.vni.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/27/1997 17:22:23
		[snip]
> > My goal:
> > To at least establish a connection between my P550 and P575 that will
> > support TCP/IP communication.
>
> Can do. Just use a printer cable to hook the two computers together and
> run ppp.

Just out of curiousity, anyone know about doing this between a freeBSD Box or
a Linux Box (like a P75 or P133) and a Mac using a printer cable? I would
think that it would be the same basic process, but for some reason I always
thought I would need a gender switcher instead of my plain old DIN9->25 serial
cable.

I've unfortunately given up on running BSD on my Duo right now, mostly because
of networking problems, although this may turn out to be what I need.

> > My progress to date:
> > Hardly worth mentioning.  I have *almost* got the machines to sustain
> > a PPP connection through a serial connection from printer port to
> > printer port.  It dies immediately telling me that it cannot locate
> > a local ip address.  I have messed with many many config files including
> > named.boot, hosts, /etc/ppp/options, /etc/*.conf, etc, etc.  I'm at
> > a loss at this point.
>
> They should be able to do that. Sounds like you forgot to tell one of the
> sides the IP addresses. On the NetBSD side, you will need two options files,
> one for the modem ppp, and one for the to-MacOS ppp. In the to-mac options
> file, add a "10.0.0.1:10.0.0.2" and set the netmask for this ppp to be
> "255.255.255.255". On the modem options, add "defaultroute", as it's
> the default route out.
>
> In /etc/hosts, add two entries like:
> 10.0.0.1	mybox-backdoor
> 10.0.0.2	macosbox

and so the IP address would become (if the NetBSD box were foo.bar.com)
	macosbox.bar.com and mybox-backdoor.bar.com

			?

Thanks a bunch, as usual!

	Tom

Tommy Tarka                            | http://clockwork.dementia.org/~tommy
Unemployed BChE, Engineering Intern    |         tommy@clockwork.dementia.org
  Tommy Tarka, harder to track than the wildebeast.  -Chris Patrick Donohue