Subject: Re: priorities screwy
To: David Bushong <dbushong@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1997 23:26:41
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, David Bushong wrote:

> When I first noticed this, I thought it was a bug in top, but after
> running ps -onice yesterday, I realized the system is adding 20 to all
> priorities.  So 0 gets printed as 20, +5 as 25, -10 as 10, etc..  Is this
> a problem?  Is this a _known_ problem?

It's a problem in the top binary.  The `priority' field is now an unsigned
character, so any executables take advantage of this need to be recompiled
to pick up the new `zero' value of this field.

If that doesn't clear up the problem (for top, at least, it should),
there's a portability problem in the software.  Fortunately it should be
fairly easy to fix.

--scott