Subject: Re: Help for a Newbie
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1997 17:16:55
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> Ack!  I wouldn't recommend the Bourne shell for beginners, how nasty!

Hey now, I've heard of holy wars faught over stuff like that. ;-)

> ;-)  The C shell is usually considered to be more friendly for
> interactive use (although I prefer tcsh, personally).  BTW, I think you
> need to do an "export PATH" for the above example to work, but I could be
> wrong.

I'd kinda hope that'd already be in there, but yes, you're right on that
point.  As for which shell is friendlier, if you've used unix systems
other than this one, sh is closest to such fav's as bash, ksh, etc.  csh
has its own syntax, etc., which is why I kinda shy away from it, unless
I'm writing something (evil) like

while (1)
  finger @utm.edu
end

:-)

> Or some such list.  Basically just have a colon-separated list of where
> you keep your binaries.  If you are going to have '.' in your path, make
> sure that it is last.

Amen to that.

> The .login file is read by csh following the .cshrc file upon initial
> login.  Since it is more or less read only once, you should put whatever
> you want done only once in a session in there.  I generally set
> environment variables there (like my PATH), start up a mail notifier, and
> check the system uptime.

Kinda like .profile then, where .bashrc or whatever sh uses is equivalent
to .cshrc, right (not much of an sh or csh person, I tend to install bash
on everything, often much to the chagrin of the cc :-).

> This is because whoever is in charge of the files in /etc decided
> (erroneously, apparently) to change the default console terminal type
> from vt100 to vt220 in /etc/ttys.  Apparently, the mac68k console driver
> does vt100 emulation, not vt220, so when it gets vt220 control codes, it
> sometimes has a little trouble.  To fix this, simply edit /etc/ttys and
> change the vt220 on the console and (more importantly) the ttye0 lines to
> a vt100.  Also, when you are asked for your terminal type, tell it to use
> vt100.
>
> BTW, will this little bug in /etc/ttys get fixed in -current?

If I remember right, the terminal emulation code has been updated in the
-current sources to be able to handle the vt220 superset, but I could be
wrong.

> This is definitely true.  The authors are Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, and I
> think Garth, but if you check out the Meta-FAQ, it will tell you for sure:

Just found my copy, Garth is Snyder's first name.  The missing person is
Hein.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |