Subject: Re: Help for a Newbie
To: None <Greg@johnsong.mdn.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1997 12:57:29
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 briggs@puma.macbsd.com wrote:

> [Note that this was forwarded by port-mac68k-owner--please respond to
>  Greg@johnsong.mdn.com or Greg@purdue.edu or port-mac68k@netbsd.org
>  -- thanks, -allen ]

Don't want all the responses, Allen?  :-)

> 1st - How do you set up aliases for programs for a user. Say for a user
> to time pico in any dir and be able to run pico instead of having to
> entry the path from /.

Should be set up that way anyway.  In the user's .profile (or in
/etc/profile), try adding

PATH=$PATH':/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:.'

assuming you're using sh (recommended for beginners) and just add any
other default search paths in the order you want them to be searched,
separated by colons, generally with . (current directory) last.

> 2nd - Any suggestions on a basic content of a user .login .

Nope.  I think that's basically a "whatever you want" thing.  I hadn't
even noticed that there was such a thing until recently.

> 3rd - The screen tends to invert black and white quite often is do to a
> certain terminal type ?

try using vt100 instead of vt220.  I think that most (if not all) of those
problems are fixed in more current kernels, but oh well.  Oh yeah, and if
that doesn't work, assuming you're not using a Quadra, you could always
use dt.

> 4th - What would the best General Reference on sysadmin.

I always recommend the "other" Red Book.  It's called Unix System
Administration Handbook, three or four authors, but I forget who.  I'm
sure that half the people on this list either have the book or at least
are familiar with it, so... somebody want to finish the description (can't
find mine right now...).  :-)

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |