Subject: Re: Syquest, Centris650, & NetBSD1.2
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stephen R. Lasky <srlasky@BurningElectrons.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1997 11:21:49
Jason and Bob:  Thanks for the quick replies:

Jason said:
>This is just guess, but...
>
>If it frooze right after it changed root device, then it could be that you
>didn't build devices in the installer.

Nope, I built the devices, if I try to rebuild them, the installer gives me
a mssg that fstab already exists and will not be rewritten.

>would be to repost with a few of
>the lines that are on the screen before panic:  line. (The booter log gets
>closed once the kernal is loaded.)

I will try to do that.  Most of the lines directly before the crash seem to
be hex addresses but I will write them down and post them (can't copy and
paste since the machine is dead).  I'll post them in a separate post since
I have to reboot to run the booter.

Bob said:
>The Kernel you're using doesn't have the required support for the 650.
>Either you pulled it down from the wrong place on ftp.netbsd.org or you
>got an early one that still doesn't support the 650.  I don't know if the
>650 support has been officially incorporated into the soruce tree yet, so
>you may need to find a custom kernle designed to work with the 650 for
>the time being.  I'm sure someone will come along and answer that for you.

The kernels I downloaded have been GENERIC 1.1, GENERIC1.2 (NetBSD) and
GENERIC 2 (openBSD).  I just noticed a post about GENERIC 1.3, but I
haven't found that anywhere.

If anyone knows of a kernel that runs on the centris 650 (I imagine that
the same kernal should run on the quada 650 as well, I would appreciate a
pointer to a site where I can find it.  That would be the easiest fix.

Thanks

SRLasky

Stephen R. Lasky Ph.D.  	Mailto:srlasky@BurningElectrons.com
Burning Electrons
	Electronic Publishing and Marketing: http://BurningElectrons.com/
	Soft Adventure Almanac: http://SoftAdventure.com/
Member: HTML Writers Guild
	Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good Fantasy.
Public key available at
http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x63C6DFD9