Subject: Re: CD
To: Matthew Becker <mbbecker@mail.deforest.k12.wi.us>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/1997 15:15:03
On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Matthew Becker wrote:

>                 Is it possible to read form a cd drive?  I have a cd drive
> on SCSI ID 3.  When I try a mount -r sd3a /CD       (Yes I did create the
> directory) is says "Device not configured"  Does anybody have any ideas
> what is going on?  I have some great stuff on the CD and want to get at it.

Ah.  Changing gears to NetBSD mode (almost sent a MkLinux "stock" reply).
sd3 isn't necessarily SCSI ID 3, and in your case, I'd say it's not.  sd3
is the fourth device on the bus, in order of SCSI ID's, so unless you have
something at ID 1 and 2 _both_, the number will be lower.  If you have,
for instance, a drive at ID 0 (internal) a CD-ROM drive at ID 3, and an
external drive at ID 5 or six, the internal would be sd0x, the CD ROM
drive sd1x, the external SD2x, with the x being the appropriate letter for
the partition.

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |