Subject: Re: file system corruption...
To: None <porteous@inforamp.net>
From: John Zic <johnz@serg.cse.unsw.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/1997 10:28:46
Hello Doug,

> John,
>
> I too have a PowerBook 170 and have had problems with NetBSD 1.1/Booter
> 1.8. The boot process hangs following the presentation of the following
> message: "mrg: ADB interrupts enabled." (My readings of the various FAQs
> and Web pages indicate that this is a common problem for which John P.
> Wittkoski and others have posted patches).

You should be using the latest versions of both-- NetBSD 1.2 and Booter
1.9.1 --- in conjunction with Takashi's kernel found on his home page

		 http://www.lisanet.org/~hamada/Acti/Netbsd/netbsd.html

and then you should get past your unsuccessful boot.  My problem is
quite different, since NetBSD runs successfully for an indeterminate
period of time and reboots before the file system gets trashed.

I don't think it is Takashi's kernel, since the same behaviour is seen
using the GENERIC-17 kernel (NB: you need to run an external terminal to
use these kernels).

> My Powerbook has 8Mb RAM and a 240Mb or so HD, about half of which is
> dedicated to NetBSD...

Mine has 8 Mb RAM and *40* Mb HD, but my NetBSD disk is external (again,
only small enough (85Mb) to do some evaluation tests)! I know I need a
bigger disk, but will wait until I am convinced that it is stable enough
to get going reliably.

> Thanks in advance for your help.
> --Doug

Good luck