Subject: Re: NNTP
To: Dave Martin <dpm@netcetera.com>
From: Andrew Brennan <brennan@crashprone.allegheny.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1997 09:38:41
On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Dave Martin wrote:

> At 6:57 PM -0800 1/15/97, Duncan McQueen wrote:
> >Has anyone got NNTP to compile on NetBSD mac68k?  I managed to get Cnews to
> >compile and install, but am running into a hurdle with NNTP..
> >Any help would be greatly appreciated...
>
> I made the following changes to xntp3-5.86 to bring it up on an SE/30:

   Uhm ... those were patches to NTP code, not NNTP (USENET news).  I'm
   interested in this (NNTP) as well - but are you asking about compiling
   INN??  I've managed to compile NNTPCACHE, but you need read access to
   a news server (and presumably post access) making it more of a sucking
   news feed without IHAVE support.

   The guys who write DNEWS might be persuaded to port their code - DNEWS
   is a *very* nice server that supports both sucking and IHAVE feeds.

   ** Guys?  Do very few authors seem to include NetBSD due to the wide
   variety of architectures??  Share- & freeware, no big deal.  But if a
   company is trying to sell their products, it's difficult to claim you
   have support for NetBSD if you only have binaries for 1 or 2 boxes.

   andrew.  (brennan@allegheny.edu)