Subject: Re: Ethernet port on a Q80AV
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1997 00:58:31
>> > Does anybody know if the onboard ethernet port on the Q8440AV is
>>supported,
>> > and if so, what kernal I might need.
>>
>> The built-in ethernet on some Quadra and Centris models is not currently
>> supported, sorry.
>
>Wasn't someone working on porting the SONIC driver from the NetBSD/Sparc
>sources?

the Centris 660AV, Quadra 660AV and the Quadra 840AV do NOT use the SONIC
chip, instead an AMD MACE is included along with the 53c96 on an ASIC.  I
have been looking at the MACE docs, TCP/IP Vol2 chap 3, the current
ethernet driver, and the MACE driver from MkLinux and I think that a driver
is do able, more so if one uses programmed IO instead of trying to figure
out the DMA used on these machines.  My efforts are dirrected towards this,
but the fact that my IIci has been crashing every 18 hours or so due to
cleaned vnodes that aren't doesn't help.  I think that the problem with my
IIci was related to using NCR kernels instead of SBC kernels, but with an
uptime of only 2 and a half days this is inconclusive.  Has anyone else had
this problem with cleaned vnodes that aren't?  my machine didn't require
SBC kernels till the 1.2 upgrade, before 1.2 my NCR -current kernels worked
fine.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu