Subject: Re: Update on the PowerBook 140
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1997 17:56:29
The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] wrote:

> There should have been a line such as
> adb:  extended keyboard at 15
> or something like that (that's just bs'ing it off the top of my head, plus
> it wouldn't read as extended, but still) in order for the kernel to work.
> It sounds like the powerbook keyboard is returning a different value and
> the probe is ignoring it, but who knows.  Ideas, anyone?

Even if it didn't see it as a keyboard it should have still listed it
in the adb probe if it found it, so it sounds like the code isn't
working 100% on that model. During the ADB probe, the code may get out
of sync with the PM chip. When the keyboard data arrives due to your
typing, it generates an interrupt, and the code doesn't know how to
handle
it since it thinks the PM chip is in a different state. So it crashes.
Well, it sounds good, anyway, but it's just a guess :-)

> > PRAM time does not appear to have been read correctly.
> > PRAM:  0x83da4f80, macos_boottime: 0x32d089e4
> >
> > Could this have anything to do with it???
>
> No.  That's just a little quirk in reading the time.  I have no idea why
> it does that, but every system I've used w/ NetBSD since... I dunno, many
> months ago... has done that.

This means that the code to query the PM for PRAM data isn't working
yet. All non-powerbooks that work with NetBSD should be able to get
the time properly. It will always be a little off like this:

PRAM:  0x32d089f7, macos_boottime: 0x32d089e4

because the PRAM time is the current time and the macos_boottime is
when you _started_ booting, so it'll be a few ticks off.

If these two time are WAY off, then it prints the "PRAM time does not
appear to have been read correctly" message warning you.

	--John