Subject: Re: printer / modem
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/1997 20:27:58

> On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Aaron Namba wrote:
>
> > > - How can I use the printer (connected to the serial modem port). A
> > > DeskWriter by HP?
> > >
> > Uhh, you might have to recompile the kernel or at least write some device
> > drivers or something like that.  Not for newbies.

Recompile????????? No. The serial drivers are standard, and do quite well
with my DeskWriter.

> Well, if the DeskWriter can take raw ASCII, you could configure lpr to do
> that.  Otherwise, get an ethernet card and the appropriate Asante
> EtherPrint or something like that to connect the printer to the ethernet
> mini-network, and use GhostScript.  The chances of getting localtalk
> support are... not so good, except maybe on Quadras, it might be more
> sane.

?? Why not just fire Ghostscript out the serial port? That's what the version
of GhostScript on puma was built to do. If you have a DeskWriter (not a plus,
nor something with a #), then that package is for you. If you have a 500
or so, then use it, but use the dj500 sub-driver in gs. Note: the current
gs (which is 2.6.3, old I know) requires the X libraries be around. They aren't
really used, but this gs has X support, so it needs the libraries.

One of these days, either I or someone else will compile a modern gs. :-)

Take care,

Bill