Subject: Problems with Portrait Display in IIcx (I think :0)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <h.hidouci@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/07/1997 18:42:06
Greetings BSDers,

I am trying to install a working version of NetBSD/mac68k onto an old
mac IIcx. I have been reading the archives of the mailling list for the
past 3 months as well as the FAQ and other utilities documents.
My hardware consists of a Mac IIcx with an external Quantum HD (105 MB)
dedicated to NetBSD, internal Quantum (40MB) Extended Keyboard, Apple mouse,
Apple Portrait Monitor and Video Card. ( BW or 4 greyscales), RAM (tried from
5MB to 16MB)

I have used the following programs to install NetBSD:
Booter 1.9.4, Installer 1.1, Mkfs 1.2, Patched Apple HDSC util as well as
the APS util 2.7.3. I grabed Mode32 from the "puma" site.

The problem I am encountring is unlike anything I have seen reported on the
list, so in despair I am turning towards you knowledgable people.

After installing the basic files etc12, base12 and netbsd12 ...etc of the
official release, I usually manage to login just fine and then it gets a bit
weird.

If I reboot from then on, "shutdown -r now" seems to work and gets me back
to MacOS after reboot. If I try to restart NetBSD again, I get an
inconsistent behaviour.  Sometimes it seems to boot just fine until I
login and try to compile a simple C program ( to stress the machine a bit)
I get either "as" dumping core or a segmentation fault.
Other times it boots up to the Login prompt but after entering "root"
It seems to start the "motd" messages and then dumps me out to Login
again (After looking at the filesystem from the Installer mini-root prompt
I can see that "csh" has dumped core) and sometimes it's almost all commands
after login that dump core ("ls" works "ls -l" dumps ..etc)

The most interesting and most often thing that happens is that the boot
process hangs at the following point (Typos are my fault after manually
coping the messages that seemed relevant):

.
.
Got Following HWCfgFlags: 0xfc00, 0xffffdfff, 0xffffff, 0x        0
.
.
ite at obio0 (minimal console)
.
.
fpu0 at obio0 (mc68882)
nubus0 at mainbus0
<HANGS HERE>

If I press <RETURN> I get the db> prompt, I typed trace (might be useless but
who knows) and got something like this:

db> trace
_Debugger (20cf4, 2e18, 102a90, b0792, 102b00) +6
_panic (2e18, 21040002, 6b0ab008, 1c2ab24d, 0) +34
_jmp0panic (?)
_.....
_.....

(Didn't bother to copy the rest)

When I manage to boot sucesfuly, I get the following line after the line
"nubus0 at mainbus0":

.
nubus0 at mainbus0
MacII Portrait Video Card
grf0 at macvide0
.
.
Until the login prompt.

So I am wondering whether the MacII Portrait Card is supported by the
release kernel (1.2)?. I tried booting with the "GENERIC17" kernel and
although the order and type of messages on boot are slightly different,
It most of the time hangs at the "nubus0 at mainbus0" line. I noticed
a line which said "ite0 not configured" or some such.

I would like to know if there is anybody out there who is runing sucesfuly
a Mac IIcx with an Apple Portrait card and what kernel or distribution they
are using? If my guess that it's the video card on the nubus is incorrect then
what do you guys think it is? (I have suspected hardware problems like
corrupted RAM, but I have changed them for some known working SIMMS with
the same result :( ) The funny thing is that when it manages to boot, I could
even run the "dt" binary with the Large fonts and it seems to display
correctly with white fonts on black background.

If you require any other info or want me to try something else, please let
me know. This problem is really confusing me, getting core dumps and succesful
booting only ocasionaly (although other binaries core dump) got me completly
baffled.

Thanks for any help you can give, and sorry for the very long message.

H.Hidouci
email: h.hidouci@ic.ac.uk
Dazed and Confused