Subject: Re: Intvid update
To: Derrick Hutchinson <derrick.hutchinson@reuters.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/06/1997 16:40:32
> Mike, I have a Performa 600 (which is supposed to be just like a IIvx).  Do you
> know if the changes you are making will alleviate the problem I currently have
> with having both an Asante ethernet card and a video card (Supermac Spectrum
> Series III OR Radius Precision Color).

Well, the code I'm working on doesn't deal with the NuBus. Are you using a
current kernel? The video card/ethernet card interrupt problems were supposedly
solved. I had a SuperMac Thunder and a MacConi Ethernet card in my IIvx and
they co-habitated quite nicely (The SuperMac has since left to be replaced
by an National Instruments NB-PRL that I hope to get working some day)

> With ONLY the enthernet OR video card in the machine it works fine, but with
> BOTH cards in the machine it hangs during the boot because of some sort of
> interrupt conflict.

Try shuffling the cards around and try a newer kernel. If that doesn't solve
the problem then post *where* the kernel hangs. That information generally
tends to be more helpful.

> Will I need anything other than a new kernal to take advantage of internal
> color capability?

Not really. The driver I'm writing is direct to hardware so all you'll have to
do is boot with a monitor on the motherboard's monitor port. This is important
since the driver checks for the monitor's type and presence at startup.

> Will I be able to use Both internal video AND an external video card?

Sure. The drivers don't conflict with each other as far as I know. Hopefully
colorkit will support more cards in the future and you can go nuts with two
monitors :)