Subject: Re: Rephrased Questions related to setup/installation.
To: None <srg@hax0r.org>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@daikichi.nonexistent.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/06/1997 10:01:44
On Thu, 5 Dec 1996 08:13:58 -0400,
srg@hax0r.org (srg) wrote:
> I have the APS program for partitioning, all of the NetBSD 1.2 binaries, 2
> differnt kernels that are supposed to run on an 040.

Ur, which APS program is that?  There are many versions of APS
Power Tools.  You can get 2.7.3 off of the Net, but its legal
implications are unclear since it is a commercial product.

Anyway, you certainly can partition your drive in whatever way you
like with APS Power Tool 2.7.3, or newer versions; I have experiences
with the versions 3 and 4.

With v2.7.3, you can specify the size of the partition you are making,
in number of blocks.  A block is 512-byte (or 0.5-Kbyte) large.

The versions 3 and 4 came with my APS external drives I bought.  I
don't keep the v3 around anymore, and I forgot just about everything
about it.  As for the v4, I just made 3 partitions (1 MacOS, 1
root&usr, and 1 swap) with it.  You can change the size of partitions
by dragging the ending edge of the partition, provided that there is
free space after the partition, or you could specify the size in
either Mbytes or Kbytes.

> 1. Partition a 70 meg Root & usr partition and a 25 meg swap partition
>      (I am unsure of what the eschatology partition is for?)
>    - whether these partitions are on my Internal hard drive or on a Zip
> disk        does not matter to me. I would like to know which is better
> though.

It depends on how you want to use the system.

> 2. Install NetBSD 1.2

See the docs.

> Id like to know from people with experience if this is enough space to give
> the software,

You should be able to cram NetBSD into the 70M partition, but whether
or not it's enough, again, depends on how you want to use it.  If you
want to install other free software packages (mailer, editor, etc),
you'll probably want more space.

ken