Subject: Re: Major problems with NetBSD on LCIII...HELP!
To: John Albers-Mead <John.Albers-Mead@InternetOne.COM>
From: Michael Peters <sailor@oro.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1997 22:45:25
On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, John Albers-Mead wrote:

> My system configuration:
> LC III (68030 w/ FPU)  12 MB RAM
> SCSI 0: 750 MB Quantum Lightning (internal)
>         Partitioned into 350MB Mac - 24MB Swap - Rest ROOT
>         (I think I read that there may be a problem here)
> SCSI 2: 44MB Syquest (all Mac)
>
>   NetBSD 1.2
>   Instaler 1.1
>   Booter 1.9.4 (allocated 5MB RAM)
>
> I have had NetBSD up and running with a few problems for a little while
> using GENERIC-9 and the full installation.  Every once in a while, it would
> hang for a few seconds and the speaker would start making a very high
> pitched rythmic tone (sort of a weee...weeee...weee..weee kind of thing).
> Most of the time this would come back with some sort of error and I would
> be on my way again with things seemingly running fine.
>
> sd0(sbc0:0:0): non-media hardware failure, data =6d b6 db 6d b6 db 6d b6 db 6d
>
> GENERIC-15 which I have been told works well with the LCIII.  This
> installed overnight and this morning I went to restart and -YEA!- the whole
> thing locked again!
>
> At least the drive shows up...
>
> ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
<multiple snips>

  This advise may be out of date as well as wrong, but here goes ;-) :

  1.  The LCIII has a different adb driver (so i'm told), so you shouldn't
be able to boot NetBSD w/o the SBC versions of the GENERIC kernels.

  2.  I think while I'm not familiar with most of netbsd's error messages
that it might be complaining about your ADB.  Try booting with
GENERICSBC-15.  I have an LCIII with a very similar configuration (less
ram, less HD), and boot with that flawlessly.

  Hope I've been of some help.

Michael D. Peters