Subject: netatalk problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Malcolm Slaney <malcolm@interval.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1997 12:20:53
I can't seem to get netatalk to come up on my MacIIx running NetBSD 1.2.
I'm running stock 1.2 with a configuration based on GENERIC.  The only
modification I made to GENERIC were to include ATALK, turn on NFSSERVER,
and turn on ISO (part of net/if_ethersub.c would't compile unless I turned
on ISO too.  I suspect this is a misfeature in the distributed netatalk
code.)

Everything else comes up and runs ok.  When I try to start netatalk by hand
I get the following results (slightly reformatted to make it easier to
read).

        mnmunix# /usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd
                "/usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd.conf" config name
        mnmunix# /usr/local/atalk/bin/nbprgstr -p 4 mnmunix:Workstation
                nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
                Can't register mnmunix:Workstation@*
        mnmunix# /usr/local/atalk/bin/nbplkup :LaserWriter
        mnmunix# /usr/local/atalk/bin/nbplkup :Laserwriter
        mnmunix#

There is on LaserWriter and one AppleTalk server on my local network.  The
rest of the AppleShare network is on the other end of a ASCEND ISDN network
connection.  It doesn't seem to matter whether the rest of the network is
available or not.  I can't get atalk to come up.

There are a few new messages in /var/log/messages since I recompiled.

        Jan  5 11:49:00 mnmunix /netbsd: Scrubbing on ae0
        Jan  5 11:49:00 mnmunix /netbsd: Broadcast scrub.
        Jan  5 11:49:00 mnmunix /netbsd: Done scrubbing on ae0

My atalkd.conf file, which started out with just
        ae0 -phase 2
has been modified to say
        ae0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.239
This indicates some basic functionality, doesn't it?

Any ideas?

-- Malcolm
P.S.  Thanks to Bill Studenmund and his colleagues for putting this
together.  I'm anxious to see this work.  It will be cool.  But I'm at a
loss as to what to do next..... None of the tip/FAQs I've found on the web
address this startup problem.