To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1997 11:26:19
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 16:24:31 +0000
To: Andrew Brennan <brennan@crashprone.allegheny.edu>,
        Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Uncle John <happy@dircon.co.uk>
Cc: Stefan Schmiedl <swsch@regensburg.netsurf.de>, Tony <tchen@ibl.org>,
        MacBSD <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>

At 10:25 5/1/97, Andrew Brennan wrote:
> [...]
[snip]
>> New users are almost always advised to read the FAQs first, but sometimes
>> that doesn't always happen and dividing the mailing list won't change this.
>   I'd have to agree with Bob - creating those lists would mean more lists
>   to subscribe to if one is going to help people ... and one of those is
>   still going to have the majority of subscribers and people posting off-
>   charter questions.  It's a nice idea, but it probably wouldn't reduce
>   the traffic on the main list.

I actually quite like the 'mix' of questions and answers on this list, and
compared to other lists I'm on the traffic is minimal, really. What I'd say
is that probably too much discussion goes on on the list itself, and not
enough by private email - certainly for porting issues, that discussion
*needs* to go on on the list itself. But a number of the installation /
config issues could be dealt with by email, then the original sender could
summarise the responses and mail a conclusion back to the list for other
people's interest. Not the most simple of ideas, I grant you, but it might
keep people happier in the long run.

Otherwise, I support the status quo.

No 'ageing rocker' jokes please. >;-p

John.

                     "It's not a Bug(TM) it's a Feature"

 ["Bug" is a registered trademark of Microsloth Corp. All wrongs reserved]

    +-+-+ Admin on Monochrome (telnet 138.40.17.10 for more details) +-+-+
                  Email tugs@mono.org || happy@dircon.co.uk

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com