Subject: Re: Color Video
To: None <ken@net5.co.jp>
From: John Plotecher <jplotech@diisd.k12.mi.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/1997 17:22:07
> I'm not perfectly sure what you mean here, but I'd say no, it
> wouldn't: if none of the color kernels works on Q700, it would make
> sense for a kernel, which you build out of the current source tree
> with the same color code Taras' kernels got, *not* to work.
>
> ken

Here's my reasoning...

The kernels on ftp.macbsd.org are somewhat old. That means they fail on
a Q700 for reasons such as no SCSI support, etc. Current kernels support
the Q700 almost fully except for video. By using mv.c in a current
kernel, you would fix all the SCSI problems, etc. and also have the code
to drive a color video card. (I'm going to see if anybody's tried the
kernel on a Q700 w/video card and if they remember where it failed. If
it never got past the video initialization, then making a new kernel
woudn't work. If it says "ARGH!! No Boot device!" although there's a
NetBSD partition present, then it's a SCSI problem and making a new
kernel might fix it.

P.S. Do current kernels (i.e. GENERIC) have Taras' code in them?

Thanks for your help!

John Plotecher
jplotech@diisd.k12.mi.us