Subject: Re: Major problems with NetBSD on LCIII...HELP!
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
From: John Albers-Mead <John.Albers-Mead@InternetOne.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/1997 10:10:14
At 4:45 PM 1/2/97, Scott Reynolds wrote:
>Could that "whee... wheee... whee..." sound be the disk, instead of the
>speaker?  That certainly sounds like a hard disk in its final stages of
>life.  Reformatting the drive might mask this problem temporarily...

I thought of that but and listened closely but it did sound like more of a
speaker noise.  Also, I was never able to reformat it.  My initialization
programs would tell me there was an error in trying to reformat the disk.
Once I rebuilt the desktop, it came back.

It seems to be running fine now (no noises) only I can't boot NetBSD.  When
I do an ls from the installer miniroot everything shows up  but I get a
message like "can't locate fstab" right under the entry for netbsd.
Attempting to boot netbsd causes the machine to freeze completely.

Could I have done something in NetBSD that would cause the hard drive to do
these funky things?

-jam

                                                  John Albers-Mead
                                             WWW/Graphic Developer