Subject: Installer/Disk Problem
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alan C. Bindemann <bindeman@tsun.eglin.af.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/1997 10:55:07
I'm having a problem with the installation process for NetBSD.

Halfway through installing BASE12 I start getting the following errors:

Error on SCSIRead(), # 5

The errors start just as the installer starts placing files in the
/usr/sbin directory.

After getting a couple of dozen of these error messages the installer
dies.  I tried increasing the memory size of the installer and got the
same results.

Here are some specifics:

Mac IIcx
20Mb Ram
Quantum 730S Lightning Drive
Drive was recently formatted, initialized, partitioned and tested with
the modified version of Apple HD SC (A/UX) 3.0.1.

The partitions are (approx);

350Mb MacOS
55Mb  Root
40Mb  Swap
250Mb Usr

I started the installer, chose Make Devices, entered a mini-shell and
typed:

>mkdir /usr
>mount /dev/sd0g /usr
>quit

I then started installing the BASE12 package (obtained from the BSDisc
CD-ROM distribution from Info-Magic).  At this point I get the error.

I did a sucessful install once before (same Drive, Same CD-ROM) and
got NetBSD to boot, and even got X-Windows running.

Unfortuately, my the Drive started complaining about bad blocks and I
had to reformat the drive and start over :<  Now that I have a
reformatted drive I can't get NetBSD back on the system (sigh...)

Any help would be appreciated.  While I had NetBSD running I was
really impressed and am eager to get it working again.

Thanks,
Alan Bindemann