Subject: Re: Swap partition
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Bobart <bobart@dmatech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/30/1996 20:43:41
>> Quite right. I was at work when I wrote the first email and the computer
>> was at home. I have fixed this situation and can provide the following
>> information. I was using booter 1.1
>
>        Dave, this is your problem. You _need_ booter 1.9.4 or later. This
>particular one had some special MMU-mapping changes to allow NetBSD to boot
>on 68040-based Macs.
>
>> and the GENERIC-9 kernel (which I got from ftp.macbsd.com/kernels).
>
>        Another possible problem. I don't think this kernel has SCSI driver
>support for Quadras. If it gets a way through the boot messages, and then
>says something like "No boot device", then that is probably it.
>
>        I have a Q840av, and the kernel I first got to work was:
>ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/briggs/for.hans
>
>        Another, more recent one, which adds X-windows support for up to
>1MB of VRAM, is:
>ftp://host4.alterity.com/pub/netbsd.gz
>
>        For further help, feel free to e-mail me, or Hans-Christian Becker
>(hcb@phc.chalmers.se), as we have both been able to get monochrome X-windows
>working on our Q840s.

Thanks for the help. I made the mistake of giving the version number of the
installer which was 1.1. I am using booter 1.9.4 which seems to be ok. I
will download those other kernels and see if they help. The system has all
kinds of components in it, so I may run into conflicts. Also, has anyone
managed to create NetBSD boot disks for VAXen and DECstations with
NetBSD/mac68k. I have loads of machines I have been tinkering with, but a
distinct lack of boot drives (or operating systems) for them. I am getting
the other NetBSD lists now, but I have boot drives for the Macintosh
systems.

Thanks again.

-Dave Bobart

There once was a system called VMS
Of cycles by no means abstemious.
        It's chock-full of hacks
        And runs on a VAX
And makes my poor stomach all squeamious.
                          --The Great Quux