Subject: Re: installing netbsd
To: None <newuser@tiac.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/1996 20:57:31
On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 newuser@tiac.net wrote:

>  I still get the error message on the middle of the instalation when I
> install base12  "bad shecksum in tar header"
>
>  I like to know what kind of unix partition do I have to use with apple HD setup

An error in the tar header definitely should have nothing whatsoever to do
with the partition (excepting possible errors in the installer error
message code).

> then when I download base 12 with fletch I use binarie mode  and I save it as
> gzip file is that correct ? ( it use to work when I install it the first time )

Yes, that's correct.  A couple of questions....  Did the original file
come from netbsd.com or one of the mirrors?  If it's from one of the
mirrors, you might try downloading from another mirror, or even
ftp.netbsd.com itself.  Second, do you have a copy of MacGzip?

If you have MacGzip (or stuffit expander with expander enhancer should
work, too), try uncompressing the archive.  Rename it base12.gz or
base12.tar.gz or whatever.  Then, run MacGzip (or St. Exp.) and decompress
it.  Then, extract the resulting file with the installer and see if that
works.

Good luck,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |