Subject: RE: 040 testers...
To: None <HARBAUGH@FCRFV2.NCIFCRF.GOV>
From: Steven Campbell <scampbel@astral.magic.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/31/1996 17:03:41
>If trying this on a Centris 650 is 'reasonable', please point me to where I can
>pick up the most recent versions of the NetBSD booter and the test kernel.

The performance on my Centris 650 is not great yet, but definitely worth
seeing for yourself.  When I tried to run vipw to add myself as a user in
the passwd file, and when I tried to save the file, the machine complained
about an undefined operation, and then destroyed my passwd and shadow
password files, so that I was unable to login.  The same thing happened to
my /etc/rc file as well, when I tried to add fsck -fy to the disk checking
section.  The file got truncated on a write command and I had to replace
the file from a backup.

My machine is a Centris 650 clock-chipped to run at 33 MHz, with FPU, 8 MB
of soldered RAM, and onboard ethernet.

The newest booter is Booter1.9.4.sit.bin, at
ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/booter, and the latest 040 kernel is also at
ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/briggs/for.scampbel.

Steve