Subject: Re: Is dead lithium battery culprit? (Was: Re: IIcx Power supply
To: James D. Skee <spiritwalker@doe.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/1996 17:33:54

> >My IIcx's power supply finally died. Where can I get a working power supply
>
> First, many thanks to everyone who responded in private about my question.
> Having not yet purchaced a power supply, I read a column in this months
> MacUser (could be MacWorld, cant remember) about how a dying battery could
> cause problems recognizing SCSI harddrives (my 40MB drive might not be dead
> yet!), as well as problems powering up, so I was wondering if it might also
> cause the power supply to not function properly, thus preventing my IIcx
> from powering up? Pretty much, the fan starts to move, and the power light
> flashes briefly, but thats it and the Mac wont boot.

I'm sorry I didn't clue in on this earlier, but I think you're
right about the battery. I know we've had a IIcx in one of the
labs which you were not permitted to turn off as it wouldn't restart.
I think it was a bad battery.

Try fixing it. Our standard repair is to get a 2 or 4 battery clip from
Radio Shack and wire in two AA batteries. They're cheeper and easier
than the Lithium battery.

Good luck!

Bill