Subject: Re: ppp quandries
To: john <webmaster@indra.seanet.com>
From: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/1996 20:35:29
>Well I have read the previous months listings, tried all I know how to do
>(which is limited..) and cannot get pppd to dial my modem. I have tried the
>ppp scripts with out success (both plain, modified and .pg). I am using
>netbsd 1.2 on my SE/30 5/122.
>
>I can use cu to dial and connect to my isp, and start the ppp session. Is
>there a way to then to have  pppd take over the session? I have the slip
>connection documentation, which uses cu to begin the session: will that
>also work for ppp?
>
>In short.. calling % /etc/ppp/ppp-up  gives me "connecting.... connected.
>Starting pppd etc.... "; but the modem is never dialed and the
>connect-errors log shows nothing recorded. Someone previously asked about a
>ppp faq, which i have been unable to find. If anyone can point me to it, or
>suggest a way to connect from the command line I will be most appreciative..
>
>john

hmm...i took a totally different approach to doing this.
first off, i made a /etc/ppp/options file with vi (I know how to use it
now, yay!!) in that file, i put:
---cut here---
/dev/tty00
115200
noipdefault
connect '/etc/ppp/chatfile'
modem
defaultroute
:255.255.255.255
---cut here---
where 255.255.255.255 is the IP address of your gateway. /dev/tty00 is the
driver for the serial modem port, and /dev/tty01 is the driver for the
serial printer port, in case you wanted to change that. 115200 was my DTE
speed. no IP default simply meant that i was using a dynamic IP connection.
i guess i could figure out static IP's if i had one...hmmm...
i also made a /etc/ppp/chatfile, which looked something like this:
---cut here---
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/chat -v \
"" "ATZ" \
"OK" "ate1v1" \
"OK" "atdt5551212" \
"ogin: " "<username>" \
"assword: " "<password>"
---cut here---
in case you didn't notice, the stuff between the first two quotes was stuff
that pppd (actually, it's chat) waits for, and stuff in the second set of
quotes is stuff chat sends after receiving whatever it was supposed to.
i was told to put " \" at the end of each line, except the last line, but i
haven't actually had time to see if it works with or without it or not. i
really don't think it makes a difference, either.
i also made a /etc/resolv.conf, which contained:
---cut here---
domain whatever.com
nameserver 255.255.255.254
---cut here---
where, 255.255.255.254 was the nameserver, and whatever.com was the name of
the domain of your ISP.
another interesting tidbit of information: if you use this method, be sure
to chmod 700 the /etc/ppp/chatfile, because it needs to be executable to
run (or you'll get "Connect script failed" - it took me awhile to figure
this out - <smack> :) and common sense tells us you don't want other people
seeing your password in that file :)
most of the other stuff is pretty self-explanatory, i think...
after doing all this, i rebooted (maybe it wasn't necessary, but what the
heck) and i just typed "pppd" and viola. :)
good luck, mail me with more q's, if you need more help.
was there a better way to approach this anyone? it worked fine for me <shrug>
  - a