Subject: Re: 040 testers...
To: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: John Ostrowick <jon@macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/30/1996 09:11:51
since netbsd is so cool, i decided to take the plunge and try it on our 040
macs at home. :-)

here's the results. please forgive me for saying stupid things. I haven't a
clue about all the technicalities. if you talk about miniroots and serial
consoles i'll just read your mail and say 'huh?'. so please explain
anything i'm likely to find weird.

anyway, here's the results. I basically just took the external hard disk
from my se/30 at work and fed it to the 040 macs at home (an LC 475 and a
quadra 800).
Their internal disks are irrelevant since they're booting of the quantum
250 i'm using perfectly on my se/30.

LC 475
______
very badly behaved. dies almost immediately. This is what it types on the
booter's screen (booter 1.9.4, BTW).

entry 0x1818
657872+51624+102232+43464+45856
so i sez to him, the real way to do it is to...

then it sticks. even the mouse sticks and refuses to move. I am forced to
reboot it.

other details: 040 caches - tried turning them both on and off. No VM used.
32 bit mode on. black and white monitor. none of these seemed to help it.

Quadra 800
__________
quite a lot better behaved.

It boots into NetBSD up to this point:

- recognises the machine
- states that it has 12 MB ram (but it has 24 MB!! - but i'm 100% sure
32bit was ON). On the other hand, my se/30 has 20 MB ram :-) drool y'all -
and netbsd recognises *that*.
then it waffles on till it says

"adb bus subsystem
unexpected trap
vector offset 0x4 from 0x6e080000"

then it sticks. I can enter the debugger if i press the interrupt button,
but it will not let me type (obviously because it fussed about adb). I
tried fiddle the same things as the 475 - vm, 32 bit mode, caches, monitor
color, to no avail.

A few points and questions.
- I've seen people mention adb problems in connection with the 040 models.
So maybe this is a common problem.
- *do* caches make a diffs? the quadra makes a fuss if i turn them off.
- why does the 475 get virtually nowhere? does it really require the FPU?
- does b/w make a diffs? i booted the quadra with both b/w on and in 256
color mode. It booted up to the same point in both modes, so is it really
important that it be set to b/w mode?
- my big suspect: I tried booting them with netbsd 1.1 and the kernel is
generic #47. Don't criticise me immediately for this, i acted to the best
of my knowledge. This setup works 100% on my se/30. If i must use different
things for the 040 boxes, fine, but please tell me precisley *what* and
precisely where to get them.

so that's my report so far. please give me some suggestions and then i'll
try again :-)

John Ostrowick
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Ave, Johannesburg, South Africa. 1st Floor, Senate House 1012
Phone: +27 (011) 716-3783
jon@cs.wits.ac.za or jon@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za or jon@is.co.za
My web page is on my server's: http://macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za/
My ftp site: ftp://macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za/macenroe/pub/
My listserv: subscr@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za (any message with a body)