Subject: Re: Recognizing swap
To: Bill Merrill <wlmerril@mtu.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/29/1996 14:33:29
At 1:16 PM 10/29/96, Bill Merrill wrote:
>How do I get a swap partition to work?
>Right now I am running a usr and root partition a 100 meg drive, sd1a,
>and have partitioned sd3a, a 50 meg drive for swap (overkill I know, but

I just went through this.  You need to build a custom kernel to have swap
on a different drive from root.  Also swap should be on sd3b, not sd3a.
Tell your formatter to make it a swap partition.

Take a look at Colon Wood's kernel-builiding howto on www.macbsd.com.  The
line I used was:

config          netbsd  root on sd0 swap on sd1 and vnd0a dumps on sd1b

Also note that NetBSD numbers disks sequentially, not by ID.  If you have
two disks at SCSI ID's 3 and 6, and a CD-ROM at ID 5, then you get devices
sd0 and sd1 for the two disks and cd0 for the CD-ROM.