Subject: Re: Recognizing swap
To: None <wlmerril@mtu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/29/1996 13:10:38

> First off, obligatory thanks to all people that made it possible for my
> lcIII to boot into NetBSD this weekend.  I am so happy to be running
> Unix on my mac.

Cool!

> I hope to be able to contirbute back to the effort.

Great!

> Though I do have my newbie question...
>
> How do I get a swap partition to work?
> Right now I am running a usr and root partition a 100 meg drive, sd1a,
> and have partitioned sd3a, a 50 meg drive for swap (overkill I know, but
> I just wanted to get things going).  When I ran build device from
> the installer, the fstab entry for swap was "none".  I have changed it
> to sd3a, but get the following...
>
> fugly# swapon -a
> swapon: /dev/sd3a: device not configured

I think the problem is that you don't have a sd3a. If you made a
50 meg swap partition on drive 3, it'll show up at sd3b.

Look at disklabel /dev/sd3c to see what's up. I also think that
swapon wants a "swap" partition, so you need to get the partition
type right.

You also have another problem in that the standard kernels expect
swap to be on the same drive as root. To do otherwise, you need
to configure a custom kernel.

> Also, before during boot, but before swapon is reached, I get a message
> something like WARNING: no swap.

Probably since there's no 'b' partition on the boot drive.

Take care,

Bill