Subject: Re: tty01 as login port
To: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/28/1996 20:21:17
On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, synapse wrote:

> okay, I have figured out the password file stuff :)
> now, I'd like to proceed onto my next project of letting /dev/tty01 be a
> login terminal port as speed 57600. How exactly would one go about doing
> this? I've messed with getty, but I haven't had much luck.
> i've also been hearing rumors about this not being possible..is this true
> or not?
> any help is appreciated!
> thanks!

Setting my mind back into 68k mode from MkLinux mode....

There should be no trouble with using either port for login connections,
although 57.6 might be pushing things a little.  It's not that hard to set
up, though.  Just edit /etc/ttys and change the appropriate line,
increasing the port speed from 9600 up, and replacing the off with on.
Also, you'd probably be well served to change it to insecure (don't allow
root login, I think).

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |