Subject: Re: Can't add a user
To: Mack Nagashima <mackn@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
From: John Ostrowick <jon@macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/28/1996 07:37:42
>I remember having this problem once when i installed NetBSD 1.0A...  when
>i FIRST installed NetBSD that is...  i forgot how i fixed it..it might be
>a simple permission problem or umm..something else..  i assume this is the
>first time you are installing NetBSD or maybe an entire re-install of the
>system..  Can someone clue him in? :)

it might be that /bin/csh has the wrong access privvs. You might also want
to try installing the user manually with vi in both passwd, master.passwd
and group, then calling

pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd

you can also check the access privvs on his home directory.

sorry if that's not much help.

John Ostrowick
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Ave, Johannesburg, South Africa. 1st Floor, Senate House 1012
Phone: +27 (011) 716-3783
jon@cs.wits.ac.za or jon@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za or jon@is.co.za
My web page is on my server's: http://macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za/
My ftp site: ftp://macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za/macenroe/pub/
My listserv: subscr@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za (any message with a body)