Subject: Re: talk...
To: Mack Nagashima <mackn@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/1996 12:20:51
Mack Nagashima wrote on 24.10.1996
  talk...

>	I'm having problems with my talk program...  i'm hooked up via
>ppp and when i use talk i can't talk to anyone outside my system...
>talking to other users on my box is ok...but wen i try to talk other
>systems it keeps checking for invitations on caller's machine and never
>establishes any connection...although if someone from outside my system
>talk-requests someone on my system the announcement gets through....but i
>can't respond because it keeps checking for invitation..i'm using the 1.2
>binaries...with the GENERIC kernel..    so..what am i dong wrong?!  THanx

Hi,

what OS are your partner's running ? If you want to talk to someone running
a Sun-Machine (either SunOS 4 or 5), then you won't have success, because
Sun ships a version of talk, which is ***OLD***. It use's the old talk
protocol from  BSD4.2. BSD4.4 (the base of NetBSD) uses the BSD4.3
protocol, which is neither compatible with old protocol, nor uses the same
port.
I've heard that Sun ships a ntalk with SunOS 5.5[1], thats compaitble with
the new protocol, but that must be enabled by the sysadmin in /etc/services.
Even if you've mastered this problems you must be aware, that talk doesn't
care about byte sex ...
talk to another system is really a game ....

ciao
   lutz

[1] aka Solaris 2.5

Lutz Albers                                     |       What's good ?
Luederitzstr. 14, 81929-Muenchen, Germany       |      Life's good -
<mailto:lutz@muc.de>       ph: +49-89-93940363  | But not fair at all
<http://www.muc.de/~lutz>  fax:+49-89-93940365  |          (Lou Reed)

Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.