Subject: Re: talk...
From: Sean Sweda <sweda@us.itd.umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/24/1996 23:24:30
On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 14:34:57 CDT,
"The Great Mr. Kurtz \[David A. Gatwood\]" rearranged the electrons to say:
>On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Mack Nagashima wrote:
>
>> 	I'm having problems with my talk program...  i'm hooked up via
>> ppp and when i use talk i can't talk to anyone outside my system...
>> talking to other users on my box is ok...but wen i try to talk other
>> systems it keeps checking for invitations on caller's machine and never
>> establishes any connection...although if someone from outside my system
>> talk-requests someone on my system the announcement gets through....but i
>> can't respond because it keeps checking for invitation..i'm using the 1.2
>> binaries...with the GENERIC kernel..    so..what am i dong wrong?!  THanx
>> for the helpp :)
>
>I have an almost identical problem with ytalk under MkLinux.  It's
>probably related, all things considered.  Ideas, anyone?  (Note, the same
>version of ytalk works perfectly from a Sun SPARCstation, minus the
>patches to read my domain name from an enviromnet variable so ppl can
>talk back.  Oh, BTW, the talkd at the receiving site may check your
>domain name for validity?)

I've been running macbsd for well over a year, moving from 1.0-current
kernels to 1.2 distribution kernels, and *never* has talk or ytalk
worked to any external system.  In fact, ytalk wouldn't even work
to users on the *same* machine! (although I haven't tried with 1.2).

Does anyone think that this might be related to BSD4.2 compatability
in the kernel (talk underwent a major revision from 4.2 to 4.3, no?).
BTW, is there any reason at all these days to use the 4.2 compat
option (and 4.2 tcp/ip compat option) in a custom kernel?

Sean

Sean Sweda                        :            Owner, Motor City Marauders
sweda@us.itd.umich.edu            :   1994 Internet Baseball League Champs
http://www.umich.edu/~sweda       :                     http://www.ibl.org