Subject: Intvid Update
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M.R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/24/1996 20:14:42
To everybody in general:
Things are comming along well. I've made a little progress on the IIsi/IIci
problem, I just have to work out a problem with mode switching.

I'm also working on a really rough, ugly, version of a kernel that will be
useable on a IIvx/IIvi to run userland programs like color X and it should
be available pretty soon. This is basically to see if I have all the
interrupt issues worked out properly and I understand Taras's grf ioctl's :)

Once that's running, I'll cut the hardware dependant parts out and put them
in their own file and clean up the code in general. Then the IIsi/IIci
hardware support as well as any future machine support will essentially be
a plug-n-play affair.

Just to give you an idea, the grf code will figure out what your video is
(how this is done is still an issue I'm working out) and run the appropriate
driver for it. If your machine is purely black & white or isn't supported
yet, there will be a default driver that essentially will act like a card
that has one mode, the mode you booted in, and has a fixed palette.
This way, even people without color can run the same colorkit X binary as long
as they boot in 1 bit mode.

To interested developing parties:
I've noted a few issues while I've been working on this kernel and the one
that troubles me the most is the fact that when any code changes resolutions
there is this assumption that the console needs to be reset. This isn't always
a valid assumption especially in the case of video cards. Is there a way to
know if the current grf is the console?

Also, if there is ever to be Quadra video support then I need an ioctl that
switches resolutions. To be in keeping with our Apple-esque calls, does anybody
know what the Display Manager does to update the resolution? Is it a new
driver control selector?

Thanks to everybody!

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill