Subject: Re: ppp question
To: Chi On Ao <coao@space.mit.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/24/1996 10:12:58

> hi,
>
> i am having a hard time trying to get ppp working.  i have a dial-up
> account with my ISP which allocates IP address dynamically.  i used
> the ppp set up kit from Bill Studenmund as suggested by the faq.
> i changed the basic parameters as appropriate for my ISP account.
> but everytime i try to start the ppp connection by
>
> /etc/ppp/ppp-up
>
> i get
>
> connecting ... done
>
> before the modem even starts to dial!  after a few seconds, the modem
> will start to dial into my ISP, but ppp is not established.
>
> what have i done wrong?

Sounds like there is a problem with the chat script.

The first thing to do is find out how you are supposed to log into the
ISP. Basically the chat script needs to mimic what you would type at
the keyboard. Are you supposed to type a user name after a "login"
prompt, and a password after a "password" prompt? The current
chat script assumes so. It also assumes that you then type ppp.

Some ISP's use one of the two authentication schemes built into
ppp. For them, you'd just have the chat script proceed to just before
this authentication (called either CHAP or PAP I believe), then the chat
script should end; ppp will take care of the rest.For them, you just
put some info (like a passowrd) in a file in the ppp directory. I can't
be more precise as I've never used them.

The other thing to do is to run chat in verbose mode. Look at the
debugging scripts in the ppp kit. You will also need to add a line
to /etc/syslog to log *.local2 messages to a file.

Good luck!

Bill