Subject: Re: Printing
To: Jonathan Short <jonathan@leviathan.ele.uri.edu>
From: John D Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/24/1996 10:20:51
~On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Jonathan Short wrote:

> Hi thanks to everybody for the help.  I looked on the Colin Woods list of
> working/nonworking macs, and found that the PMMU is the Paged Memory
> Management Unit.  ???.  But I guess that I don't really need to know what
> it is, but simply how to find out if I have it on the Mac II, or else I
> can't use it with MacBSD anyway.  So how can I find out if it has the PMMU?
> And as for the localtalk vs. ethernet issue, I would just determine which
> type of connection it was by simply looking to see if there is an
> appletalk box hooked up to either the modem or printer port, and if not
> then it is ethernet appletalk, right?  Thanks a lot for all of the help.
> 					-Jonathan Short

The mac has a pmmu if there is a chip labeled "MC68551" inside. Also,
the program "sysenvy" will tell you so, it's a mac-side program and
I know it is on sumex-aim. There is a good chance that you do not
have a pmmu, as it is not a standard feature, but they are not far
too expensive to buy. Just hard to find.
	-jd

jddst19+@pitt.edu   John Duncan
		    Freshman, University of Pittsburgh

"I'm not a doctor, but I ate one at the UPMC..."