Subject: Re: anyone working on SCSI/Ethernet boxes
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Bowers <netbsd@gargle.tcp.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/1996 03:15:14
On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, John P. Wittkoski wrote:

> Hey all,
> Do I remember someone talking about working on support for
> those SCSI/Ethernet boxes on the list a few months ago?
>
> If so, here is a little info for you (or anyone else who
> may be interested)
>
> I currently know of 3 different versions of these boxes:
>   Dayna SCSI/Link
>   Xircom Pocket Ethernet
>   Dayna Pocket SCSI/Link
>
> Here's what I found:
>   As anyone who has seen the two "Pocket" versions knows,
>   they look exactly the same. Having access to on of the
>   Xircom models, I can tell you that it is EXACTLY the
>   same as Dayna model. In fact, it is manufactured by Dayna!
>   The circuit board on the inside says "Dayna Pocket SCSI/Link"
>   on it. I suspect the only difference is some minor changes
>   in the ROMs to report a different manufacturer when the
>   device is probed via the SCSI bus.
>
>   Since also having access to a Dayna SCSI/Link, I can
>   say that the the only different between the SCSI/Link
>   and the Pocket SCSI/Link is the size of the componants.
>   They use slightly different device packaging in the
>   Pocket version to reduce the size.
>
> In conclusion:
>   Other than the manufacturer listed in the ROMs, these
>   three devices should be the same. So when one is supported,
>   all three should work! (Less porting effort is good :-) )
>
> But wait, there might be more:
>   Cabletron used to manufacture a device for _PCs_ that
>   was a SCSI Ethernet interface. They even have a description
>   of the SCSI commands that were used to access that device
>   (ftp://ftp.ctron.com/pub/apple.dni/misc/scsi.txt)
>   (Why this description for this PC product is under the
>   Mac directory I don't really know.) It's probably a
>   long shot, but perhaps these Dayna devices use similar
>   (or the same?) SCSI commands? Companies often
>   purchase or OEM a design to speed time to market.
>
> Has anyone ever seen one of these Cabletron PC SCSI/Ethernet
> adaptors? They don't make then anymore, but it might be
> interesting to see how close the design is to the Dayna
> devices. The Cabletron devices in question are the EA4xx
> models.
>
> I don't have time right now to actually make some code
> that sends the Cabletron SCSI commands to the Dayna boxes,
> but perhaps some other industrious person can...
>
> 	--John

If anyne has one of these beasties (pref. in the UK) and want to sell it let me
know as I'd be really interested in getting it to work on my Classic II - I'm
fed up of using PPP between this and my i386 netbsd box - ethernet would mean a
whole new lease of life!

SteveB (d/l'ing the info as we speak...)