Subject: Re: Newbie questions
To: Philip Schielke <phisch@cs.rice.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/1996 15:52:44
>    I've installed NetBSD 1.2 and X11R6 (the newest version) on my SE/30
> and I have a couple of problems.
>
> 1)  I looked in the archive and found some discussion on having the root
>     and swap partitions on different drives.  This is what I am
>     trying to do.  I changed the entry in /etc/fstab but when I boot
>     it says the swap device is not configured.  The swap drive has a MacOS
>     volume and the swap (SCSI 0).  Would the swap partition be sd0b?
>     I read something about rebuilding the kernal, but I'm not sure how
>     to do that.  Should I try rebuilding the devices in the installer?

Basically, you need to compile your own kernel which specifies that swap
is on a separate drive.  If you don't have a swap device, you're going to
run into trouble later...

> 2)  The video sometimes goes from normal to reverse video to underline
>     (when not running X).  Should I try a different terminal emulation?

I think that this is a terminal problem (it seems to have come up a lot
lately!).  If you set your terminal to a vt100?  I think that these
problems should go away.  You also might want to run dt instead of just
using the console, I think it has better terminal support.

> 3)  I can't get X to run.  The screen blanks and I get something like:
>     Screen 0 at 0x41ad040, 512 by 342, row B64, fbbase 0x7801040
>     and never get any farther.

How long did you wait before giving up.  It takes as much as 5 minutes on
some people's machines for X to come up.  However, this might just be a
problem resulting from having no swap.  Unless you have just _loads_ of
memory, NetBSD is probably hanging while swapping out enough pages to
load X into memory.

I hope this helps some.

Later.