Subject: Newbie questions
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Philip Schielke <phisch@cs.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/23/1996 12:54:19
Hi,

   I've installed NetBSD 1.2 and X11R6 (the newest version) on my SE/30
and I have a couple of problems.

1)  I looked in the archive and found some discussion on having the root
    and swap partitions on different drives.  This is what I am
    trying to do.  I changed the entry in /etc/fstab but when I boot
    it says the swap device is not configured.  The swap drive has a MacOS
    volume and the swap (SCSI 0).  Would the swap partition be sd0b?
    I read something about rebuilding the kernal, but I'm not sure how
    to do that.  Should I try rebuilding the devices in the installer?

2)  The video sometimes goes from normal to reverse video to underline
    (when not running X).  Should I try a different terminal emulation?

3)  I can't get X to run.  The screen blanks and I get something like:
    Screen 0 at 0x41ad040, 512 by 342, row B64, fbbase 0x7801040
    and never get any farther.

I'd appreciate any help.  Thanks.

-Phil