Subject: Re: 1.2-current machine status update
To: None <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Bill Walz (BoyPizza) <bewalz@wfis.wellsfargo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/1996 17:01:23
>Bob-
>
>Don't worry, I'm not getting discouraged, just behind in my schoolwork ;-)
>
>> It struck me that maybe one of the confusing things, especially for the
>> first-time user, is which Kernel should be used or which ones work.

I'm a "first-time" user who brought NetBSD up on my performa550 a few
days ago.  I checked out the various web pages and grabbed the 1.2
distribution off netbsd.org.  With the GENERIC kernel I could only boot
into single-user mode (it would hang when trying to do fsck).  I then
found a kernel in pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernel called GENERICSBC-3.
This kernel works and I'm very happy to put my old mac to use.

Being new to NetBSD I don't know why this kernel works or if future
kernels will work with my p550.  What is the difference between the
GENERIC kernel and the GENERICSBC-3 kernel?

Bill Walz
bewalz@wfis.wellsfargo.com

ps I have a performa 550 with 12 meg of ram, Quantum hardrive, and internal
   video.