Subject: Re: Q650
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Cole <tuc@cs.wisc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/22/1996 00:24:21
]From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
]
] > at least that's what they posted in their Apple Spec Data Base on their
] > Web page back in May. No Centris or Quadra is listed that runs at either
] > 25 or 33 Mhz. They're all either 40, 50, 66 or 80Mhz.

This is nothing more than marketing.  The ALUs run at 20, 25, 33, or 40Hz.

Not that you can blame Apple too much for this.  People bought 25MHz 80486
machines instead of 33MHz 80386 machines, despite the smaller MHz number.
But people were buying 50MHz and 66Mhz 80486DX2 machines instead of 33MHz
68040 machines just because of the lower number.  Go figure.

] Actually, the number for processor speed that you normally see posted
] (and the number that I've apparently been using so far in my
] machine-status document) is the data bus speed, not actually the CPU
] speed.

Not true.  For example, the IIvx has a 32MHz processor on a 16MHz bus.

I suggest continuing to quote the CPU speed in the macBSD charts.

brian
--
 Brian A. Cole    |_   _  |  |  ___|    Visit Brian's Repository of