Subject: Re: 1.2-current machine status
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Scott Lipcon <slipcon@hops.cs.jhu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/20/1996 11:23:10
On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Colin Wood wrote:

> Model = Mac Model
> CPU = processor (type/speed)
> SC = Serial console required
> IV = Internal (on board) video works
> NV = Nubus/PDS video works
> IE = Internal ethernet works
> NE = Nubus/PDS ethernet works
> ADB = ADB (keyboard and mouse) works
> SCSI = SCSI works
> FPU = Has built-in math coprocessor
> PMMU = Has Paged Memory Management Unit on board
> 32 = Has 32-bit clean ROM's (does _not_ require MODE32)
> Kernel = Recommended kernel (1.2 = NetBSD 1.2 release kernel)
> Comments = ...
>
> Y = yes, N = no, O = not an option, ? = no info available
>
> Fully working machines (i.e. ADB, video, disk)
>
> Model    CPU    SC IV NV IE NE ADB SCSI FPU 32 Kernel Comments
> -----  -------  -- -- -- -- -- --- ---- --- -- ------ -------------------
> LCII   030/16   N  ?  ?  O  ?   Y   Y    O  Y
> P400
> P405
> P430

I have some questions about this entry.  First of all, how can Serial
Console not be required, if there is no information available about the
status of internal + nubus/pds video???  The way I see it, you either need
a physical console, or a serial console.

Also - I have a plain old LC at home, which has been upgraded.  I forget
the exact name of the card, but it is made by Daystar, and has a 16Mhz
030, and a FPU.  When I run MacOS, I don't have any extensions or anything
to access the card, and all sorts of diagnostic type software just think
that its an LC II with an FPU.  What is the likelyhood of this working
with NetBSD?  I'm very excited to try last time I tried, it was my only
computer, so I had to try to get it running off a 40Mb Syquest drive.
Now, we have a powermac as well, so its simple to dump the LC's hard drive
off to a folder on the powermac and do a total install.

Any info would be appreciated,
Scott