Subject: Re: Return of some problems
To: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1996 23:56:26
> Problem 1:      I have the external 40MB drive partitioned as *all* swap,
> not even a Mac driver partition.  I can newfs sd1b and all seems
> reasonable, except that it can't find the swap partition during boot.  The
> relevant parts of the boot seem to be:

[snip]

> I thought the GENERIC kernels were supposed to support this kind of
> configuration.  I also thought I had tried it with a mid 1.0 to 1.1 kernel
> and it worked a couple of years ago, but then the brain isn't what it used
> to be.

Actually, I don't think that the GENERIC kernels do this.  I believe that
they require the swap partition to be on the same disk as the root
partition.  However, I seem to remember a discussion on changing this
behavior, so maybe I'm wrong.

> Problem 2:      Both the screen and telnet connections seem to get confused
> by screen formatting commands.  The screen seems to choose underlining or
> reverse video randomly when I do a man.  I had one telnet session where vi
> didn't get the "terminal" into raw mode and I had to type carriage returns
> after everything to get it interpreted.

> Is there some configuration I need to set to get consistent results?

This problem seems to have come up a lot lately.  I think that basically,
we're all suffering from the fact that *BSD curses sucks rather hard (or
so I've heard from many, many sources).  I think the solution is to
install ncurses instead.  Perhaps NetBSD should shift to ncurses and
scrap its current curses package.  I seem to remember that Linux has
already done something like this.

Later.