Subject: Re: Return of some problems
To: Henry B. Hotz <henry.b.hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1996 17:51:37
On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> I remember these two problems being discussed, but I don't remember the
> solutions.

Yes, there were solutions. :-)

> WARNING: no swap space found
> [..snip..]
> swapon: /dev/sd1b: device not configured
>
> I get the same results if I leave the driver partition in place, no
> surprise.  My fstab is:
>
> /dev/sd0a       /       ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd1b       none    swap    sw 0 0
> kern            /kern   kernfs  rw 0 0
> proc            /proc   procfs  rw 0 0
> [...]
> I thought the GENERIC kernels were supposed to support this kind of
> configuration.

While this is obviously a desirable goal, GENERIC kernels only support
swap on the same disk as the root filesystem.  You must compile a custom
kernel if you want it any other way.

> Problem 2:      Both the screen and telnet connections seem to get confused
> by screen formatting commands.

Either use dt, or edit /etc/ttys and change the vt220 to vt100 for the
console getty.

--scott