Subject: Re: enabling IIci cache card
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/1996 09:31:51
> > Some serious side effects though are that none of the systat functions,
> > such as iostat, vmstat, pigs, work reliably, and they all give a memory
> > allocation error.
>
> Sorry, don't know how to fix this ;-)
>
> > And on boot, I get savecore: can't find device 0/0.
> > But the troubles seem worth it.  The machine is noticeably quicker.
>
> I think that this is a result of the "dumps on sd??" or whatever line in
> your config file.  If you ever get /netbsd itself to dump core, it will
> dump to the dump device (it's actually quite scary when it happens; I've
> done it once).  Perhaps it is improperly specified in your config file.
> Of course, I'm not too knowledgable about this little area of system
> administration, so perhaps someone with a little more experience will
> speak up.

I've seen this problem before. Your user-land program sare out of sync with
your kernel. You need to build a new libkvm, and to make sure that
/netbsd is your current kernel. I typically have lots of kernels lying
around, and staticly link one of them to /netbsd.

The systat programs might also work better after fixing the libkvm problem.

The problem is that, to get at parameters from the running kernel, programs
have to grovvel in its memory space. They need to know where to look, and
use libkvm and the /netbsd file to figure out appropriate addresses, etc.

If you compile a new kernel, the memory locations for these tables
moves, and so then the programs break; they look in invalid places.

Take care,

Bill