Subject: Re: TCP/IP problem!
To: Johan Claesson <Johan.Claesson@uab.ericsson.se>
From: None <jbyler@MIT.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/15/1996 03:54:20
> Hi!
>
> First of all I wanna thank everybody who have tried to help me configuring my
> system. But I think you don't really understand my problem.
> I have one Macintosh IIcx running NetBSD 1.1 that is connected througn a
> Twisted-Pair cable to one Macintosh Performa 475. There is only this single line
> between thoose computers, no connection to a server or a other net.

--- snip ---

> Thoose are the files I have tried to edit:
>
> /etc/myname:
> pegasus.jc.se
>
> /etc/mygate:
> 128.138.240.1
>
> /etc/defaultdomain:
> jc.se
>
> /etc/hostname.ae0:
> inet    128.138.240.2
> dest    128.138.240.1
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
> domain          jc.se
> nameserver      127.0.0.1
> nameserver      128.138.240.2

First of all, /etc/hostname.ae0 is a bit wrong.  Try deleting the line
"dest 128.138.240.1" entirely from the file.  The was probably my
fault; I posted instructions for setting up these files, only to find
that the instructions I gave were in error.  I did post a correction,
but I guess you must've missed it... Sorry!  I hope this helps.

By the way, if this doesn't help I probably don't have anything else
to suggest, as I'm kind of new with NetBSD and system administration
in general, but I'm curious: why would you want to set up internet
services between two isolated computers, with no connection to the
'net?  I thought you were going to use the NetBSD box as a router for
the other Mac...

-Jesse

p.s. In your dmesg listing I noticed that you don't have a line for
ae0.  Here are a few lines from my dmesg to compare with:

nubus0 at mainbus0
ae0 at nubus0: address 00:00:94:21:55:94, type MacCon Ethernet, 32k mem.

My guess is that fixing /etc/hostname.ae0 won't fix your problem if
the card isn't showing up at boot time or with dmesg.